Stumbleupon’s Woes Increase.
Interesting article showing that Stumbleupon is sliding deeper into the grave it dug for itself with its recent disastrous re-design.
That awful and ill-conceived ‘re-design’, revolution rather than evolution, was embarked upon to ‘dumb-down’ the user experience and make it attractive for mobile apps, but it has backfired and resulted in a continuing dramatic loss of traffic plus the hasty stepping down of Garrett Camp, CEO behind the change.
Unfortunately neither the person writing this article or the Stumbleupon ‘spokesmen’ quoted in it seem to have grasped the problem. The company execs complain that users don’t stay on the site very long now but fail to make a connection between that and their own actions.
The fact is, they destroyed the blogs that had been a feature of Stumbleupon right from the start, dismantled the ways in which community could express itself, and discarded most of the social functionality which encouraged people to spend time there. The sites most enthusiastic users, who curated its best content, were driven away and there was nothing in the re-design to engage or retain new users.
A commenter in the article pinpointed the basic flaw in Stumbleupons new design, that the experience is now isolating compared to other social media. Nick Douglas, the editor of humor site Slacktory, said “I didn’t really need yet another discovery method, on top of Reddit and Tumblr .. both of those include decent discussion; they have an actual culture. [StumbleUpon] seemed like a toy I was using, alone.” Back when it was attracting loyal users it wasn’t like that.
Stumbleupon is rapidly heading for irrelevance if it’s not already there and apparently the guys running the show still don’t get it. They think the answer to the mess they’re in is more of the same. After having their mistakes explained to them over and over by their users, after seeing their traffic go down the pan so dramatically, they’re still willfully clueless. It’s like a corporate death wish.
The old saying is true. There’s none so blind as those who won’t see.
Read the article here
- tranquilturmoil likes this
- llbwwb likes this
- annmarie22 likes this
- cybergata likes this
- the-enigma-variations reblogged this from elledark and added:
- the-enigma-variations likes this
- daywhite likes this
- sylvander likes this
- peppermintswirlscloudmydreams likes this
- sphinxnomore likes this
- thesobsister likes this
- coolbus18 reblogged this from elledark
- coolbus18 likes this
- cloggo likes this
- tjonie likes this
- megellen likes this
- stumblers2tumblrs reblogged this from elledark
- imall4frogs likes this
- dagorret reblogged this from elledark
- chrystalstar likes this
- marjoree said: I know — I read the article and thought the same thing. They missed the point ENTIRELY.
- master-li likes this
- dynamic-polarity likes this
- mymiscjunk likes this
- tibor-1 reblogged this from elledark and added:
- uni-ty likes this
- tibor-1 said: I hear you Ellie! SU used to be so cool.
- alongtimealone likes this
- jjones186 likes this
- gildedmoonbat likes this
- lorenzens-soil likes this
- akapearlofagirl reblogged this from andoniss
- akapearlofagirl likes this
- andoniss reblogged this from elledark
- sextraterrestrials reblogged this from ronbenetjamsey
- sextraterrestrials likes this
- ronbenetjamsey reblogged this from lonelycoast
- theriverwanders likes this
- piecesoflogic likes this
- other-stuff reblogged this from elledark and added:
- lonelycoast reblogged this from elledark
- serendippity likes this
- ybb55 likes this
- sitasays likes this
- reginatexas likes this
- aurum-design likes this
- politicsplus reblogged this from mizred
- politicsplus likes this